Wednesday daily sheep summary
06 July 2016
Lamb throughput at Forbes increased 50% this week, to 28,600 head. Quality was mixed, with both well finished and plainer lines well supplied. Heavy and extra heavy weights made up the majority of the offering, and all the usual buyers competed in a cheaper market overall.
Mutton numbers increased 24%, to 5,500 head. Merinos made up the bulk of the yarding, with quality mixed and the market trending cheaper overall.
- Light weight 3 score lambs to processors averaged 615¢, back 31¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 4 score lambs to slaughter eased 25¢, averaging 655¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score lambs finished 24¢ lower, averaging 655¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes averaged 390¢, back 10¢/kg cwt
Consignments at Ballarat declined 25%, to 11,680 head. Quality was average, with an increase in plainer types penned. The usual buying group were in attendance, with some added competition seen in some sections. Trade and heavy weight lines held firm week-on-week, with plainer light drafts settling lower.
Mutton throughput decreased 9%, to 3,520 head. All weights and grades were well represented, with some heavy crossbred ewes dearer in sections.
- Light weight 2 score first-cross lambs slipped 23¢, averaging 586¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score lambs to processors gained 3¢, averaging 662¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score lambs to slaughter jumped 15¢, averaging 665¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score first-cross ewes finished 18¢ dearer, on 373¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 584¢, up 5¢/kg cwt from where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs were up 6¢, on 588¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were back 4¢, to 593¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were back 1¢, to 631¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were back 6¢, to 642¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator declined 5¢, on 392¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?