Wednesday daily sheep summary
15 June 2016
Lamb consignments at Forbes increased 92% this week, yarding 35,200 head. Quality was good across most categories, with supplementary fed lines showing plenty of finish. Heavy and extra heavy lambs were in good supply, with all the usual buyers operating in a slightly easier market overall.
Mutton throughput increased 56%, to 3,900 head. Quality continued to be mixed, with medium weight Merino ewes selling to a cheaper trend.
- Trade weight 4 score old lambs to slaughter jumped 5¢, to 616¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to processors eased 13¢, to 599¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 616¢, up 14¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes jumped 17¢, to 421¢/kg cwt
Lamb numbers at Ballarat increased 10%, to 22,049 head. Quality ranged from plain to very good, with all weights and grades on offer. A few pens of extra heavy lambs sold to strong demand, resulting in a dearer trend, with heavy weights also keenly sought after.
Mutton consignments increased 21%, to 5,696 head. All weights and grades were well represented, with lighter weights in good supply and the market settling marginally dearer overall.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to slaughter were 37¢ dearer, on 619¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs averaged 629¢, up 23¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs gained 19¢, averaging 648¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 624¢, up 26¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes jumped 22¢, to 391¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 619¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs averaged 556¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs averaged 589¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs averaged 609¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs averaged 612¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator averaged 402¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?