Wednesday daily sheep summary
12 August 2015
Lamb throughput at Forbes increased 18% week-on-week, to 35,769 head, and overall quality improved, with a better selection of well-finished lambs offered to the usual buying group. Heavy and extra heavy weights made up the majority of the yarding. There were a good number of well-conditioned new season lambs penned.
Sheep supply declined 15%, to 5,530 head, and the market trended slightly lower.
- New season trade weight 4 score lambs fell 22¢ on 635¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 4 score lambs were back 11¢ and averaged 631¢/kg cwt
- Old season light weight 3 score Merino lambs lifted 23¢ on 563¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score lambs eased 7¢ and averaged 583¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score lambs were up 3¢ on 600¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy 4 score lambs slipped 3¢ and averaged 603¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were 17¢ dearer on 396¢/kg cwt
At Ballarat, lamb consignments were down 9% week-on-week, to 4,080 head, and while quality was very mixed, there were several pens of better presented trade and heavy weights on offer. Restocker and feeder buyers were active.
Sheep throughput was 10% lower, at 2,103 head, and all weights and grades were represented and sold to a dearer trend overall.
- Light weight 3 score Merino lambs lifted 9¢ on 500¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score lambs averaged 585¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score lambs slipped 18¢ on 558¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy 4 score lambs were back 22¢ and averaged 591¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were 14¢ dearer on 383¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator lost 26¢ on 537¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were up 5¢ on 545¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs lifted 1¢ on 546¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs gained 4¢ on 597¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs increased 5¢ on 601¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 3¢ higher on 374¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?