Wednesday daily sheep summary
26 August 2015
Lamb consignments at Forbes declined 33% week-on-week, to 20,831 head, with some good lines of finished lambs penned, along with plainer quality types. The regular buyers were operating in a dearer market.
Sheep throughput was 68% lower, at 3,556 head, and prices lifted overall.
- New season trade weight 4 score lambs gained 27¢ on 649¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 4 score lambs were up 17¢ and averaged 626¢/kg cwt
- Old season light weight 3 score lambs increased 11¢ on 577¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score lambs were 1¢ dearer on 591¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score lambs lifted 6¢ on 590¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy 4 score lambs climbed 12¢ and averaged 575¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were 25¢ higher and averaged 407¢/kg cwt
At Ballarat, lamb numbers fell 14%, to 4,004 head, and quality was plain to average across the old season lamb categories, while the several pens of new season lambs presented in mainly average condition.
Sheep supply was 25% lower, at 2,893 head, and consisted of some heavy weight crossbred sheep penned, along with an increased number of shorn Merinos.
- New season trade weight 3 score averaged 612¢/kg cwt
- Old season light weight 3 score lambs averaged 583¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score lambs slipped 28¢ on 567¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score lambs were back 23¢ on 542¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy 3 score lambs averaged 546¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 2 score Merino ewes decreased 28¢ and averaged 362¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator increased 13¢ on 559¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs slipped 7¢ on 504¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were 10¢ lower on 526¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs declined 5¢ on 576¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs gained 1¢ on 586¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator was 3¢ dearer and finished on 369¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?