Wednesday daily sheep summary
26 October 2016
This week at Forbes, lamb consignments increased 26% to 20,850 head. New season lines were well represented, and quality improved on the previous sale. There were some better lines of well finished lambs on offer, with all the usual buyers competing in a dearer market overall.
Sheep throughput increased 6%, to 6,050 head. Made up mostly of Merinos, quality across the penning was mixed, with some good lines of medium and heavy weight mutton on offer.
- New season light weight 2 score lambs to restockers averaged 633¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 4 score lambs to slaughter gained 19¢, to 606¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 4 score lambs averaged 46¢ higher, at 611¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were up 19¢, averaging 373¢/kg cwt
Lamb throughput at CVLX Ballarat increased 13%, to 17,268 head. Lamb Supplies presented mostly in good condition this week, despite some showing dryness in the skins. The usual field of buyers attended and operated in a firm to dearer market, with restockers particularly active once again.
Mutton numbers declined 38%, to 4,911 head. All weights and grades were on offer, with spirited competition demonstrated by the usual buying group, resulting in a dearer trend for a number of categories.
- New season light weight 3 score lambs to processors were up 8¢, to 568¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to slaughter gained 11¢, to 549¢/kg cwt
- Old season heavy weight 4 score lambs averaged 22¢ higher, at 570¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were up 14¢, averaging 384¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 1¢ lower on 626¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were back 2¢, on 510¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 12¢, to 568¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 5¢, to 559¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 7¢, on 553¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 1¢ dearer, at 372¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?