Wednesday daily sheep summary
02 November 2016
This week at Forbes, lamb supply increased marginally to 20,880 head. Quality was similar to last week’s sale, with well finished lambs in good supply. Heavy and extra heavy weights were also well represented, with the usual buyers competing in a firm to slightly dearer market.
Mutton numbers declined 11%, to 5,400 head. Merinos made up the majority of the yarding and quality was very mixed, with some good runs of medium and heavy weights penned.
- New season light weight 3 score lambs were up 13¢, to 646¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 4 score lambs eased 11¢, to 595¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 4 score lambs were back 21¢, to 589¢/kg cwt
- Old season heavy weight 4 score lambs slipped 23¢, averaging 571¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes finished 16¢ lower, at 357¢/kg cwt
Lamb throughput at Bendigo increased 50%, to 25,820 head. Quality was very good across most categories, with all grades on offer and the majority showing excellent weight. The usual buyers attended and bidding was spirited, with restocker activity lifting week-on-week.
Sheep consignments decreased 32%, to 3,328 head. Quality was notably mixed, with all weights and grades represented.
- New season light weight 2 score lambs to restockers were up 35¢, to 600¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs were up 11¢, to 563¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 4 score lambs slipped 19¢, to 552¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes were back 5¢, to 358¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator finished 12¢ higher, at 624¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were up 6¢, to 530¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were back 3¢, to 574¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were back 5¢, to 558¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs dropped 11¢, to 551¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 4¢ lower, at 360¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?