Wednesday daily sheep summary
09 November 2016
This week at Forbes, lamb throughput declined 24% to 15,950 head. Quality varied across all categories, with a lift in drier lamb supplies recorded. New season sections continued to dominate the yarding, with the usual buyers present and competing in a cheaper market.
Mutton numbers increased 8%, to 5,850 head. Merinos made up the bulk of the offering, with prices improving marginally.
- New season light weight 2 score lambs to restockers were back 28¢, to 618¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to slaughter slipped 9¢, to 583¢/kg cwt
- Old season trade weight 3 score lambs to processors were back 6¢, to 562¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes finished 21¢ dearer, at 378¢/kg cwt
Lamb throughput at CVLX Ballarat increased 27%, to 32,778 head. The spring selling season continued to gain momentum this week, with quality particularly good. Most lambs were showing plenty of weight and excellent finish, and the usual buyers were in operation, with a cheaper trend recorded across the sale.
Sheep consignments increased 45%, to 4,823 head. All weights and grades were on offer, with a good level of competition seen for light and medium weights.
- New season light weight 2 score lambs to restockers were back 45¢, at 555¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to processors slipped 32¢, to 518¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 4 score lambs to processors eased 36¢, averaging 516¢/kg cwt
- New season extra heavy weight 4 score lambs were back 29¢, to 503¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were up 48¢, averaging 381¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator settled 15¢ lower, at 603¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were down 26¢, to 515¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were back 8¢, on 563¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were back 13¢, on 533¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs slipped 16¢, to 517¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 3¢ dearer, at 365¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?