Wednesday daily sheep summary
16 November 2016
At Forbes this week, lamb numbers declined 2% to 15,650 head. Quality continued to vary across the offering, with a larger percentage of lambs showing signs of dryness. Despite heavier weights easing marginally, the usual buyers competed in a fairly steady market, with trade weight types holding firm.
Mutton consignments increased 5%, to 6,150 head. Made up mostly of Merinos, quality was very mixed – with prices trending dearer overall.
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to slaughter were up 5¢, to 588¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 4 score lambs averaged 4¢ lower, at 576¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes gained 12¢, at 389¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino wethers were up 21¢, at 391¢/kg cwt
Lamb numbers at CVLX Ballarat increased 10%, to 35,946 head. Quality was good once again this week, with most lambs showing plenty of weight and excellent finish. The usual buying group, along with a few additional buyers, competed strongly in a dearer market.
Sheep throughput increased 5%, to 5,049 head. All weights and grades were represented, with some notable drafts of Merino and Crossbred mutton on offer.
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to processors were up 24¢, to 541¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 4 score lambs to slaughter jumped 17¢, to 532¢/kg cwt
- New season extra heavy weight 4 score lambs were up 34¢, to 538¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score first-cross ewes were up 15¢, to 346¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator finished 11¢ dearer, averaging 621¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs eased 4¢, to 514¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were back 5¢, to 552¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 6¢, to 537¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs settled 12¢ dearer, on 528¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 14¢ higher, on 387¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?