Wednesday daily sheep summary
23 November 2016
Forbes lamb supplies declined 18% this week, to 12,850 head. Quality remained mostly similar on the previous sale, with a large percentage of lambs continuing to show signs of dryness. The usual buyers competed in a firm to slightly easier market, with a fair offering of new season lambs penned.
Sheep consignments decreased 2%, to 6,050 head. Quality was fair, with a few good drafts of medium and heavy weight mutton on offer and prices marginally dearer as a result.
- New season light weight 2 score lambs to restockers were back 11¢, to 612¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 4 score lambs to slaughter eased 17¢, to 569¢/kg cwt
- Old season heavy weight 4 score lambs to processors were up 14¢, to 583¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes finished 7¢ dearer, averaging 396¢/kg cwt
This week at CVLX Ballarat, lamb throughput increased 3% to 37,028 head. With the largest penning on offer so far this spring selling season, quality was again good to very good in sections. The usual buying group operated in a mostly firmer market, with some categories marginally stronger on the week prior.
Mutton numbers increased 21%, to 6,103 head. All weights and grades were on offer and despite most selling to a dearer trend, not all the usual buyers operated fully.
- New season light weight 2 score lambs to restockers were up 26¢, to 605¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to processors sold to 596¢, averaging 535¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 4 score lambs to slaughter gained 10¢, at 542¢/kg cwt
- New season extra heavy weight 4 score lambs were back 10¢, to 527¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score first-cross ewes finished 4¢ dearer, at 350¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator slipped 5¢, averaging 612¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were up 2¢, to 496¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs eased 1¢, to 562¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were down 1¢, on 537¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs dropped 1¢, to 529¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 2¢ lower, on 395¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?