Wednesday daily sheep summary
07 December 2016
This week at Forbes, lamb throughput increased 27% to 14,500 head. Quality was notably plainer compared to the previous sale, with new season unshorn lambs limited. A greater offering of heavier weights were penned, with most of the usual buyers operating in a firm to cheaper market overall.
Mutton consignments declined 28%, to 5,000 head. Quality varied, with some good drafts of heavier weights on offer and prices for medium lines trending similarly week-on-week.
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to processors slipped 50¢, to 513¢/kg cwt
- Old season trade weight 3 score lambs to slaughter were back 58¢, to 510¢/kg cwt
- Old season heavy weight 4 score lambs averaged 6¢ lower, at 548¢/kg cwt
- Old season extra heavy weight 4 score lambs were up 3¢, at 554¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score Merino ewes were back 21¢, averaging 399¢/kg cwt
Lamb numbers at CVLX Ballarat decreased 17%, to 42,163 head. The usual buying group were present this week, with a good amount of quality on offer once again. Trade sections sold to strong demand, with heavier lines remaining mostly unchanged on the previous sale and restockers bidding keenly on lighter weights.
Sheep throughput increased 37%, to 9,837 head. All weights and grades were on offer, with plenty of drafts in good condition.
- New season light weight 2 score lambs to restockers eased 14¢, to 573¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to processors slipped 16¢, to 507¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 4 score lambs to slaughter were back 11¢, to 506¢/kg cwt
- New season extra heavy weight 4 score lambs averaged 12¢ lower, at 503¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score first-cross ewes declined 23¢, averaging 333¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator finished 6¢ lower, at 617¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs slipped 4¢, to 497¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were back 2¢, to 568¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were back 5¢, on 520¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs dropped 4¢, to 512¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 9¢ lower, at 383¢/kg cwt
For the full list of sheep market reports, please click here Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?