Wednesday daily sheep summary
14 December 2016
Lamb numbers at Forbes declined 19% this week, to 11,700 head. Quality was very mixed, with a large percentage of the offering continuing to show signs of dryness, while some pens presented in notable condition. Most of the usual buyers were present and competed in a softer market overall.
Mutton consignments increased 19%, to 5,950 head. Merinos made up most of the offering, with quality mixed across all categories and prices holding firm to marginally easier.
- Old season light weight 2 score lambs to restockers slipped 30¢, to 625¢/kg cwt
- Old season trade weight 3 score lambs to processors were up 14¢, to 524¢/kg cwt
- Old season extra heavy weight 4 score lambs averaged 30¢ lower, at 524¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes dropped 11¢, averaging 370¢/kg cwt
Throughput at CVLX Ballarat increased 35%, to 57,057 head. Quality was good once again, with the biggest offering of lambs recorded in quite some time. The usual buying group operated selectively in a cheaper market, with trade and heavy sections trending lower week-on-week.
Sheep numbers increased 18%, to 11,656 head. All weights and grades were on offer, with some good drafts of heavy Merino and crossbred lines penned.
- New season light weight 2 score lambs to restockers dropped 23¢, to 549¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to slaughter were back 21¢, to 486¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 4 score lambs to processors slipped 16¢, to 490¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were up 3¢, averaging 404¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator finished 1¢ lower, at 601¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs eased 8¢, to 473¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs slipped 8¢, to 560¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were back 4¢, to 504¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs eased 4¢, to 499¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 1¢ lower, at 383¢/kg cwt
For the full list of sheep market reports, please click here Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?