Wednesday daily sheep summary
25 January 2017
Lamb numbers at Forbes declined 7% this week, to 24,700 head. Quality continued to vary throughout most sections, with a good offering of heavy and extra heavy lines and the usual buyers competing in a firm to dearer market.
Sheep consignments decreased 18%, to 4,650 head. Quality was mixed, with prices remaining strong and Merinos making up the majority of the yarding.
- Light weight 2 score new season lambs to restockers gained 55¢, to 649¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 4 score new season lambs to processors jumped 31¢, to 630¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score new season lambs averaged 31¢ dearer, at 624¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score new season lambs gained 30¢, to 579¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes eased 10¢, to 396¢/kg cwt
Throughput at CVLX Ballarat declined 24%, to 25,364 head. The usual buying group operated strongly in a generally firmer market this week, with heavy lines selling dearer and restockers active on lighter sections.
Mutton numbers declined 50%, to 5,329 head. The regular buying group were in attendance, although not all operated fully, with all weights and grades on offer.
- Light weight 2 score new season lambs to restockers eased 60¢, to 608¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old season lambs to processors slipped 1¢, to 625¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old season lambs gained 3¢, to 615¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score first-cross ewes were back 11¢, to 368¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 661¢, decreasing 8¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs averaged 545¢, back 3¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs averaged 613¢, down 8¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs averaged 603¢, back 3¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs averaged 610¢, up 2¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 10¢ lower, at 395¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?