Wednesday daily sheep summary
01 February 2017
Lamb consignments at Forbes increased 13% this week, to 29,050 head. Quality was fair, with a notable selection of well finished drafts on offer. Plainer types were also well represented, however heavy and extra heavy weight sections made up the majority, with the usual buyers competing in a dearer market.
Sheep numbers increased 30%, to 6,050 head. Merinos made up the bulk of the offering, with quality very mixed throughout.
- Light weight 2 score Old lambs to slaughter gained 6¢, to 588¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 4 score Old lambs to processors jumped 38¢, to 668¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Old lambs were up 37¢, to 661¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score Old lambs lifted 46¢, to 654¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were up 14¢, to 410¢/kg cwt
This week, lamb throughput at CVLX Ballarat declined 17%, to 21,169 head. Quality remained firm, with all the usual buyers operating strongly and most sections trending dearer as a result. Heavy lines finished particularly strong, with those in better condition reaching upwards of $250/head.
Mutton consignments increased 6%, to 5,635 head. Some good runs of heavy sheep were on offer this week, however most buyers operated more selectively compared to previous sales.
- Light weight 2 score Young lambs to restockers were up 40¢, to 670¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 4 score Old lambs to slaughter averaged 711¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Old lambs averaged 70¢ higher, at 695¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score Old lambs were up 52¢, averaging 667¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 666¢, lifting 17¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs averaged 587¢, up 17¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs averaged 624¢, up 9¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs averaged 637¢, up 22¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs averaged 657¢, up 23¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 13¢ higher, at 410¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?