Wednesday daily sheep summary
08 February 2017
This week at Forbes, lamb throughput lifted marginally to 29,100 head. Despite the steadier offering, quality reduced on the levels reached in the previous sale – with a large percentage starting to show the effects of the hot and dry conditions. The usual buyers competed in a cheaper market, with heavy lambs well supplied.
Sheep throughput declined 2%, to 5,900 head. Quality continued to be very mixed this week, with the market trending mostly dearer overall.
- Light weight 3 score old season lambs to processors eased 16¢, to 635¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 4 score old season lambs to slaughter slipped 30¢, to 628¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old season lambs averaged 25¢ lower, at 636¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old season lambs averaged 639¢, back 15¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes eased 3¢, to 407¢/kg cwt
Lamb numbers at CVLX Ballarat increased 17%, to 24,722 head. Quality was good across most sections this week, with trade weight lines limited. The usual buyers operated in an easier market – with most trade and heavy weight sections trending cheaper.
Mutton consignments increased 51%, to 8,510 head. All weights and grades were on offer this week, with all the usual buyers operating keenly in a dearer market and lighter drafts well supplied.
- Light weight 2 score old season lambs to restockers gained 55¢, to 696¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old season lambs to processors slipped 72¢, to 605¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old season lambs eased 63¢, to 632¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old season lambs slipped 44¢, to 623¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score first-cross ewes averaged 4¢ dearer, at 382¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 701¢/kg cwt, holding firm on where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs averaged 560¢, back 27¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs averaged 629¢, down 5¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs averaged 628¢, down 11¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs averaged 629¢, down 17¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 1¢ lower, at 418¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?