Wednesday daily sheep summary
15 February 2017
Lamb supplies at Forbes declined 12% this week, to 25,500 head. Despite the smaller offering, quality was similar to the previous sale – with both well finished and plainer drier types represented. The usual buyers competed in a dearer market this week, with heavy and extra heavyweight lambs were well supplied.
Sheep throughput increased 13%, to 6,650 head. Quality varied throughout the offering, with Merinos making up the bulk of the yarding and the market trending firm to dearer.
- Light weight 3 score Old dorper lambs gained 27¢, averaging 650¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 4 score Old lambs to slaughter were up 46¢, at 685¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Old lambs to processors lifted 42¢, to 678¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score Old lambs averaged 33¢ dearer, at 672¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were up 20¢, averaging 426¢/kg cwt
At CVLX Ballarat, lamb throughput declined 15% to 21,139 head. Quality remained strong this week, with some excellent drafts of both trade and heavy lambs penned. The usual buying group operated strongly in the dearer market, with the best of the extra heavy lines making close to $250/head.
Mutton numbers lifted marginally to 8,708 head. Most categories were represented this week, with heavy weight first-cross lines particularly well supplied.
- Trade weight 3 score Old lambs to processors gained 62¢, to 671¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Old lambs to slaughter reached 739¢, averaging 704¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score Old lambs averaged 16¢ dearer, at 655¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score First-cross ewes were up 8¢, averaging 391¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 673¢, declining 6¢/kg cwt from the previous day
- Merino lambs averaged 591¢, up 12¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs averaged 623¢, lifting 7¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs averaged 636¢, increasing 12¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs improved 22¢, averaging 653¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 10¢ higher, at 429¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?