Wednesday daily sheep summary
22 February 2017
Lamb throughput at Forbes increased 48% this week, to 37,850 head. Quality across most categories was mixed, with a good supply of both well finished and plainer secondary drafts on offer to the usual buyers that competed in a cheaper market.
Mutton consignments lifted 70%, to 11,300 head. Quality varied this week, with a larger offering of plainer lighter weights penned.
- Trade weight 4 score Old lambs to processors eased 23¢, to 660¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Old lambs to slaughter were back 33¢, to 651¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score Old lambs slipped 29¢, averaging 643¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes dropped 23¢, averaging 404¢/kg cwt
Consignments at CVLX Ballarat increased 19%, to 25,054 head. An excellent selection of trade and heavy weight lines were penned this week, with quality once again notable throughout. Prices remained mostly firm to easier across the sale, with restockers and feeder buyers particularly active.
Sheep numbers declined 39%, to 5,274 head. All weights and grades were on offer this week, with some good drafts of medium weight Merinos in near full wool penned.
- Trade weight 3 score Old lambs to processors were up 15¢, averaging 686¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Old lambs to slaughter eased 4¢, to 688¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score Old lambs were back 1¢, averaging 657¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes declined 1¢, averaging 477¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 737¢, increasing 7¢/kg cwt from the previous day
- Merino lambs averaged 597¢, up 1¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs averaged 628¢, back 3¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs averaged 658¢, back 2¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs eased 7¢, averaging 663¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 8¢ lower, at 424¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?