Wednesday daily sheep summary
10 August 2016
This week at Forbes, lamb consignments declined 12% to 21,400 head. Quality was similar week-on-week, with both well finished and plainer lambs well represented. The usual buyers competed in a mixed market, with new season lambs trending dearer in sections.
Mutton numbers increased 71%, to 7,000 head. Quality was mixed and Merinos made up the bulk of the yarding, with prices holding mostly firm.
- Trade weight 3 score new season lambs were back 14¢, at 677¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 3 score old Merino lambs were up 1¢, on 630¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 4 score old lambs to slaughter were back 2¢, on 643¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes gained 12¢, averaging 425¢/kg cwt
Ballarat lamb throughput increased 7%, to 6,192 head. Most of the regular buying group attended this week’s sale, with quality mixed once again. Well covered lines sold mostly firm to marginally dearer in sections, with the plainer and lighter types trending cheaper overall.
Mutton numbers increased 20%, to 2,619 head. Quality remained similar week-on-week, with most lines trending either side of firm and Merino wethers well supplied.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to processors slipped 72¢, to 520¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter were up 8¢, to 647¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score lambs averaged 28¢ higher, at 655¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were back 56¢, at 377¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 571¢, back 7¢/kg cwt from where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs were up 9¢, to 565¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs held firm, on 587¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were back 1¢, on 649¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 2¢, on 645¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator were back 1¢, on 397¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?