Wednesday daily sheep summary
31 August 2016
Lamb throughput at Forbes increased 17% this week, to 25,680 head. Quality continued to be quite mixed, with both well finished and plainer secondary lambs on offer. Heavy and extra heavy weight sections were well supplied and the usual buying group competed in a firmer market overall.
Mutton supply increased 36%, to 7,950 head. Numbers lifted, with Merinos making up the majority of the yarding and quality quite mixed overall.
- Trade weight 4 score new season lambs held firm averaging to 624¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 3 score old Merino lambs averaged 583¢, back 2¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to processors were up 18¢, to 601¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes gained 22¢, averaging 422¢/kg cwt
At Ballarat, lamb throughput declined 66%, to 1,855 head. As preparation begins for the influx of new season lambs expected over the coming weeks, quality was average to plain. Many clean-up drafts of older lambs were penned, mixed in amongst a few lines of young lambs that met good demand from the regular buyers.
Mutton numbers increased 21%, to 3,065 head. Quality ranged from good to plain, with most sections trending either side of firm.
- Light weight 2 score new season lambs to restockers averaged 643¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 2 score old Merino lambs sold to 580¢, averaging 541¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors were up 4¢, to 563¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score first-cross ewes averaged 367¢, up 21¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator gained 19¢, to 616¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were up 8¢, on 529¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 7¢, to 546¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 1¢, on 584¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 1¢, on 589¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 12¢ dearer, on 412¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?