Wednesday daily sheep summary
07 September 2016
This week at Forbes, lamb throughput increased 5% to 26,900 head. Numbers remained surprisingly steady following the heavy rainfall recorded across the supply area, with a good selection of well-finished lambs on offer. Quality was fair, with a number of additional buyers bidding keenly on lighter weights.
Mutton consignments declined 4%, to 7,650 head. Merinos made up the majority of the yarding, with quality holding firm week-on-week.
- Light weight 3 score young lambs to slaughter eased 2¢, at 640¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 4 score young lambs to slaughter slipped 1¢, to 623¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 3 score old lambs were up 34¢, to 608¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 16¢ dearer, at 618¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were back 4¢, averaging 418¢/kg cwt
Lamb consignments at Ballarat increased significantly this week, to 4,658 head. Quality was particularly mixed, with additional buyers in attendance and bidding keenly. New season lamb supplies lifted, and quality was mostly good to average, with heavier weights limited.
Sheep numbers declined 2%, to 3,004 head. Quality was good to average, with a lift in shorn Merinos offerings week-on-week.
- Trade weight 3 score young lambs to slaughter were up 36¢, at 611¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 2 score old Merino lambs gained 62¢, averaging 570¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 2 score old Merino lambs averaged 575¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes were back 6¢, averaging 418¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator lowered 43¢, to 537¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were up 11¢, on 545¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 21¢, to 578¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 7¢, to 597¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 4¢, to 603¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 3¢ cheaper, on 411¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?