On this page, you can find a range of guides and information collated by MLA to assist livestock producers as they head into, manage through and plan to recover from drought.
When heading into drought
Drought preparedness is integral to any farm business.
These resources are avaible to assist and support producers in drought planning and decision making when heading into a drought:
- More Beef from Pastures: Drought preparedness
This checklist outlines the important issues that should be considered with drought management.
- Rainfall to pasture growth outlook tool
This online tool presents the actual rainfall and indices of soil moisture and pasture growth for the past nine months and an outlook for the next three months for over 3,300 locations across southern Australia.
- Managing ground cover to reduce run-off and water loss
This fact sheet provides information on seasonal management of ground cover and rotational grazing that can help avoid run-off, water loss and erosion.
Drought assistance will vary between states and regions. Contact your state department for more information on what is available in your area.
- Australian Government drought assistance and drought assistance information pack
- NSW Rural Assistance Authority
- QLD drought assistance
The Rural Mental Health Support Line is staffed by trained mental health personnel, who provide advice for people seeking mental health assistance for themselves, and assistance, advice and support for people who feel concerned for the mental health and wellbeing of people with whom they have contact - call 1800 201 123
Lifeline provides a national 24-hour telephone counselling service - 13 11 14 or visit www.lifeline.org.au
- Beyondblue is the national depression initiative and is working with various agencies in NSW, QLD and VIC to provide support to those affected by the floods - call 1300 22 4636 or visit www.beyondblue.org.au
Resources on managing drought
- Is it fit to load?
This guide uses pictures and simple explanations of those conditions which are described but not shown in transport codes of practice, allowing producers and transporters to quickly decide whether an animal is unfit for transport.
- A national guide to describing and managing cattle in low body condition
This guide provides an objective description system to assess beef cattle in low body condition and guidance on their management.
- Future Beef decisions for drought affected producers resources
- Australian Wool Innovation drought resources
Several state government departments and other organisations have also published information and resources on managing drought:
|New South Wales|
Recovering from Drought
- Managing weeds after drought
This publication uses the SWOT analysis and the 3Ds - deliberation, diversity and diligence - concept to assist you in handling situations after the drought.
- Looking after drought pasture
This factsheet explains how management can make a significant difference to subsequent pasture production following a drought as well as how management tactics can avoid potential problems with pasture survival, recovery and composition.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?