GMP Digital Value and Supply Chain Extension and Adoption Officer
|Project start date:||14 June 2019|
|Project end date:||30 April 2021|
|Publication date:||28 April 2021|
|Livestock species:||Sheep, Goat, Grain-fed Cattle, Grass-fed Cattle, Lamb|
Download Report (0.8 MB)
The co-funding of a Digital Value and Supply Chain Extension and Adoption Officer at Gundagai Meat Processors (GMP) has been extremely valuable to GMP and the wider red meat industry.
The purpose of this role was to enhance digital capability, specifically through the provision of advanced analytics of data sets to generate new insights for the business and provide support for clients and producers in enhanced feedback, interpretation of feedback and practice change.
The objectives of the position were to:
- participate in the Health4Wealth pilot study at GMP to determine the most efficient method of disease and defect collection on the slaughter floor for offal and carcases, plus the verification of the data collected and flow of information into feedback systems
- benchmark the business case around the cost of fat and weight to GMPd
- determine the value of carcase yield optimisation for selected cuts for Clients
- work with ALMTech project leaders to develop new tools and technologies benefiting the entire supply chain, including feedback to clients and producers
- adoption and delivery of feedback through LDL (or other systems).
- The professional development resource allowed for participation within a leadership course and travel to meetings and conferences that may not have been accessible otherwise. This was extremely important in the development of this position to ensure collaboration can occur.
- The installation of a new system to record individual carcase disease and defect information was challenging. A clear vision as to why the collection of this data is important is required to ensure success.
- Supporting producers through plant tours and opportunities to be part of workshops are integral to ensuring that producers can increase their capacity and capability.
- Feedback given by producers who attended the workshops and events has been positive, with many producers indicating that they would change practices after attending.
Benefits to industry
This project has produced many benefits to the industry, including:
- working with producers local to the Gundagai area to increase capacity and capability through the delivery of workshops and events
- professional development opportunities that resulted in an increase in collaborative projects being undertaken for whole of industry benefit
- the commercialisation and value adding of DEXA for producers and processors through work undertaken with ALMTech
- the installation of a new animal health recording system for individual carcase reporting.
The learnings for industry taken from the installation and operation of such a system have been extremely valuable.
MLA and GMP are continuing to explore new opportunities as a result of this project. The continuation of this program is important to ensure industry continues to collaborate and move forward in the areas of producer engagement and data innovations.
The installation of a hot DEXA system has produced many challenges and opportunities. Producers require support when interpreting their feedback and a clear pathway must be presented to producers to achieve this.
The importance of allowing opportunities for people in co-funded positions to undertake professional development and meet with others in similar positions should not be overlooked, as this provides a supportive collaborative environment.
|Primary researcher:||Gundagai Meat Processors|