Report Detail Page
Non -Toxic Perennial Grass Pastures for Sheep
Summary – Key Points:
- Compared to Victorian perennial ryegrass with toxic endophyte, the Deep Rooted Perennial (DRP) pasture had:
- Higher average stocking rates
- Heavier Ewes
- Higher lamb marking rates
- Higher Net Income
- Fewer worms
- Samson ryegrass also had an advantage over Victorian BUT it has not persisted as well.
- The Victorian perennial ryegrass treatment has a much lower legume content than the other treatments
- The Victorian perennial ryegrass treatment was less palatable over summer than other treatments and produced toxins that were ingested by the ewes.
- At the end of the project the only pasture that continued to persist well and produce the best production results was the Deep Rooted Perennials comprising Flecha tall fescue and Holdfast phalaris.
|Contract No.||Title||Start date||End date||Funding type|
2006/V05 Non -Toxic Perennial Grass Pastures for Sheep
This page was last updated on 06/07/2018
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?