Report Detail Page
Southern Meat Producers - Training Needs Analysis
This project has shown:
• producers have a desire for training in marketing, animal management and cropping and have a moderate level of interest in the proposed topic areas;
• producers full training needs must be distinguished from their felt knowledge and training needs;
• producers can and increasingly do fulfil their knowledge and learning needs independently of training;
• the role of training for producers operating in an increasingly complex environment must be questioned;
• training is an accepted and evolved part of life for most producers;
• training is valued for a range of reasons apart from information provision;
• only a small proportion of producers intend to translate a learning need to a training need and actually participate in training;
• training carries significant costs and risks for producers;
• there is a need for local training brokers to amalgamate demand for training and understand felt training needs and provide this information on a regular basis to MLA;
• MLA should see themselves as knowledge providers who assist producers by providing training to them indirectly as much as directly, working with the advisors that producers use;
• MLA needs to focus on the areas of market demand identified in this study, including demand for non-commodity-specific training such as climate, finance and marketing;
• there seems to be three market segments we have termed pre-training, actively training and post-training. The post-training group tend to align with the larger producers;
• regular and constant two way communication is required with producers to understand their needs and communicate what is available; and
|Contract No.||Title||Start date||End date||Funding type|
Southern Training needs analysis
This page was last updated on 06/07/2018
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?