Back to Research & Development

Report Detail Page

National livestock export industry shipboard performance report 2008

The overall mortality rate for sheep during sea transport to all destinations during 2008 was 0.84% out of approximately 4.2 million sheep exported. This was less than the 0.97% mortality rate observed in 2007. The main port of loading was Fremantle (3.1 million sheep exported with mortality rate of 0.86%), followed by Portland (0.6 million sheep exported with mortality rate of 0.63%) and Adelaide (0.4 million sheep exported with mortality rate of 0.97%). A seasonal difference in mortality between the first and second half of the year was observed for the first time in hoggets and lambs. The overall mortality rate among the 0.86 million cattle exported from Australia in 2008 was 0.12%. This was higher than the 0.10% mortality rate observed in 2007. The overall mortality rate on voyages to the Middle East/North Africa was 0.29% in 2008, a rise from 0.19% in 2007. The overall mortality rate on voyages to South-East Asia was 0.09%, similar to 2007. The highest overall mortality rate on a regional basis was 0.29% for exports to the Middle East/North Africa, while the lowest overall mortality rate was 0.06% for exports to North-East Asia. The overall mortality rate among the 3,118 goats exported by sea from Australia in 2008 was 0.51%, which was less than the 0.69% observed in 2007. All goats exported by sea during 2008 went to South-East Asia.

Downloads

Title Size Date published
258.2KB 23/10/2009

Contracts

Contract No. Title Start date End date Funding type
W.LIV.0260
2008 National Livestock Export Industry Shipboard Performance Report
15/10/2008 01/05/2009
Industry

This page was last updated on 19/09/2018