Breeding EDGE workshop | Cloncurry, Queensland
28 May 2019 08:00AM - 30 May 2019 05:00PM
Please note, due to floods this workshop has been cancelled. For more information please contact: email@example.com
Breeding Edge is a three-day workshop designed to assist producers improve and refine their breeder herd management and genetic improvement plans.
Participants will be able to develop or refine a breeding herd management plan using genetic and reproductive knowledge and technologies, to achieve desired production targets.
Attending this workshop will help you to:
- identify where the current breeder herd management program can be improved to reduce reproductive loss
- measure reproductive performance more accurately
- identify strategies and management to improve bull selection, retention, management and performance
- develop, or refine, a practical and achievable management plan for the breeding herd that will lead to higher productivity
- gain a thorough understanding of genetic improvement for both breeding cattle and turnoff cattle and develop breeding objectives to take your herd in a more profitable direction.
What you will learn:
- current herd performance – what measures matter most
- reproduction and reproduction loss
- managing the breeders - systems
- bull fertility and management
- identifying 'not so obvious' bull faults that impact reproduction
- reproductive diseases and diseases impacting reproduction
- breeder herd management plans
- genetic improvement of your herd (including breeding objectives)
- genetic principles and selection tools
- selection and selection criteria for traits important to you
- breeds and breeding systems.
Presenters: Désirée Jackson (Désirée Jackson Livestock Management) and Tim Emery (Tropical Beef Technology Services).
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?