New high value usages and occasions for red meat
Currently, 20% of the carcase delivers 80% of the value. Some parts of the carcase considered as waste attract little to no value. A focus on product and market diversification will start to shift this mix.
- Understanding and remapping the carcase from the perspective of how its components could be utilised as ingredients in food and other products
- Develop new business models and supply chains focused on where we can command the highest possible premum for each part of the carcase.
Consumers are changing – living longer, travelling more and accessing huge volumes of data and information. Changes in behaviour and lifestyle are affecting how, when and why we purchase and eat certain foods.
MLA is working to ensure red meat (and its associated 5th quarter parts) are best positioned to target these trends – and those quickly emerging – by collaborating with innovative businesses, as well as with global food trend experts and technology developers via the Product and Packaging Program.
Evolving global food and packaging trends are the high-value opportunities of the future. Identifying opportunities that add to the diversification of new products and packaging solutions, through new usages and occasions, will grow Australian red meat demand. Developing new high-value products that drive full carcase utilisation and generate greater value than traditional commodity trading models, are key drivers for ongoing MLA investment.
This resource hub covers the below key themes MLA is investing in:
Recently completed R&D Projects
- P.PSH.1297 - Validation Market Desirability Useability of Ovine Collagen – Phase 1
- P.PSH.1394 - Viability and Feasibility of Ovine Collagen - Phase 2
- P.PSH.1347 - Ovine Collagen Opportunities
- P.PSH.0999 — Developing high value freeze dried Australian red meat products and services
- P.PSH.1274 — Hides to riches — Extracting food grade collagen from beef hides
- P.PIP.0591 - Kilcoy Global Foods (KGF) Nutraceutical strategy
- P.PSH.1382 – Using HPP texture modified products containing red meat for dysphagia sufferers and ageing consumers
- P.PSH.1282 – Independent ageing
- V.RMH.0085 – Concept development of a meat pie for dysphagia sufferers (TCF)
- RMH.0044 – Desktop review on emerging technology platforms to tenderise raw and cooked meat
- V.RMH.0114 – Review paper: Beyond meat to quality ingredient component strategy
- P.PSH.1272 – Freeze dried goat tongue powder
- P.PSH.0999 – Developing high value freeze dried Australian red meat products and services
- P.PSH.1274 – Hides to riches – extracting food grade collagen from beef hides
- P.PSH.1220 – Beauty food snacks with inclusion of Australian red meat – product and market development (Chief Nutrition)
- P.PSH.1430 – Reduction of vitamin A in lamb liver for pet food application
- V.RMH.0115 – Goat pet treats – proof of concept development and testing
- V.RMH.0091 – Review of pet food category – identifying high value opportunity spaces for Australian red meat industry (insights2innovation)
- P.PSH.1209 – Organic freeze dry lamb liver pet treat
- Freeze dried collagen adds value and reduces waste
- High value opportunities
- Food for the future
- Beef hides and livers the secret ingredients in new skincare and supplement range
- A new way of packaging red meat
- Start up Bootcamp – video:
- FDI collagen – video:
- Crazy Dragon high value red meat opportunities – video:
- Goat opportunities – video:
- High pressure processing – video:
- ProForm: Value added extruded meat products – video:
Working with MLA
MLA receives funding from transaction levies paid on livestock sales, the Australian Government and voluntary contributions from industry partners.
The levies are collected by the Australian Government on the sale of each head of cattle, sheep and goat sold under the Primary Industries (Excise) Levies Act 1999. Learn how producer levies are collected and invested.
How we deliver
MLA works in partnership with the red meat industry and the Australian Government to deliver marketing, research and development products and services to beef, sheep and goat producers, with the core purpose of fostering the prosperity of the red meat industry.