MLA’s human nutrition research and development (R&D) investments aim to make consumers feel confident that they can enjoy Australian red meat in a healthy and sustainable diet.
Projects that generate evidence about Australian meat in a healthy diet helps policymakers understand its role in the Australian diet; and industry to promote Australian red meat as a healthy meal choice.
The domestic market is the single most valuable destination for Australian red meat and human nutrition R&D provides opportunities for red meat to compete with other protein sources for a place as the preferred consumer choice.
R&D into human nutrition generates and connects data and insights related to the role of Australian red meat in a healthy and sustainable diet. Initiatives include:
- understanding Australians’ changing nutrition information needs
- maintaining up-to-date information on Australian red meat consumption habits and its nutritional value · publishing and sharing R&D findings with key stakeholders on the MLA Healthy Meals website.
Benefits to industry
R&D that creates consumer awareness and confidence about consuming red meat in a healthy and sustainable diet provides industry and public health benefits such as;
- increasing the profitability of the industry by demonstrating the value of red meat as healthy meal choices to consumers
- maintaining and enhancing the value of domestic red meat sales
- improving the long-term consumption of red meat.