Red meat supply chain partners: Processors and livestock exporters pay levies to support R&D and marketing services
Name of levies: Livestock (sheep, lamb and goat) slaughter levy, Beef production (cattle slaughter) levy, Cattle and livestock exporters levy, Cattle and livestock transaction levy
Who collects the levy:Australian Government Department of Agriculture and Water Resources - Levies
How the levy is invested:
- The Livestock Slaughter levies fund the Australian Meat Processor Corporation (AMPC) research and development and marketing.
- The Cattle and Livestock Exporters’ Levy funds LiveCorp research and development.
- The Cattle and Livestock Transaction levy, which funds MLA, Animal Health Australia and the National Residue Survey, is also payable by processors in certain circumstances.
- For programs that run across the whole of the value chain, a combination of some or all of the above levies will be used, for example market access and food safety projects.
How we consult on where your levy is invested:
MLA works closely with AMPC and LiveCorp to develop projects that will deliver value to the red meat industry beyond the farm gate.
Both AMPC and LiveCorp consult closely with their industry members to identify research, development and adoption and marketing priorities:
- AMPC conducts an annual survey of members on research, development and adoption priorities and needs. AMPC also has formal structures in place for consulting with industry and research, development and adoption providers to address key topics for research and share ideas, including an annual call for research proposals.
- LiveCorp consults with export industry members through the Australian Livestock Exporters’ Council (ALEC), which is responsible for developing industry policy. ALEC representatives participate in industry committees including the Live Export Research & Development Advisory Committee.
Levies in action:
Livestock slaughter levies
AMPC levies are used to invest in projects that increase processing efficiency, improve workplace safety, and maximise the amount of saleable products harvested from each carcase. (These projects do not use producer levies.)
Project examples are available on the AMPC website.
Livestock exporters’ levy
LiveCorp and MLA deliver the joint Livestock Export Program. This program delivers animal welfare improvements in Australia and overseas markets through funding programs in:
- livestock management, health and welfare
- supply chain improvements
- research and development
- market access and development
- communication and stakeholder relationships
- the Livestock Export Collaborative Funding Program.
Project examples are available on the LiveCorp website.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?