Subscribe to The Weekly e-newsletter
News, views and advice delivered to your inbox every Friday. Covering producer case studies, industry news, market updates, on-farm tools and more, this e-newsletter is your one-stop shop for the latest in the red meat industry.
MLA invests in research and development (R&D) to gain knowledge and insights about consumer purchase patterns, attitudes, behaviour and perceptions to identify drivers and barriers to red meat consumption.
Consumer insights, in conjunction with market information and intelligence, informs business decisions across the value chain and underpins the marketing strategies that MLA develops on behalf of red meat levy payers to increase the demand for Australian red meat.
Targeted investments into promoting the benefits of red meat consumption, addressing barriers that limit red meat consumption relative to other popular proteins and perceptions around health and production practices will help strengthen the profitability of Australia’s red meat industry.
Initiatives into consumer insights include collecting, analysing, interpreting and disseminating the results of R&D that enables:
- tracking shopper patterns in retail and food service businesses
- insights to inform future marketing campaigns
- ensuring marketing activities target consumer’s purchasing drivers
- delivering consumer-focused activities along the entire ‘path to purchase’
- evaluating consumers’ price appetite for Australian red meat.
Benefits to industry
- The outcomes of consumer insights R&D ensures that Australian red meat products meet market expectations and consumer requirements.
- R&D investments into consumer insights maintain and enhance the value of domestic and international red meat sales to create long-term profitability and sustainability of the industry.
- Using consumer insights to assist food value chain businesses and producers to engage effectively with new higher value markets is critical to the sustained growth of the Australian agri-food sector.