Breeding EDGE Workshop | Hughenden, Queensland
14 Oct 2019 08:00AM - 16 Oct 2019 05:00PM
Location: Hughenden (venue TBC)
Cost: $1,550* plus GST / One person from a business (discounted rate), or $1,250* plus GST / Two or more people from the same business (discounted rate).
* Producers are eligible for a discount of $200 thanks to the generous support of the Department of Agriculture & Fisheries Grazing Futures and Drought and Climate Adaptation Program.
Cost includes comprehensive set of workshop notes, workbook, electronic files, other materials and catering.
Breeding EDGE is a three-day workshop designed to assist producers improve and refine their breeder herd management and genetic improvement plans using genetic and reproductive knowledge and technologies, to achieve desired production targets.
Attending this workshop will help you to:
- identify where the current breeder herd management program can be improved to reduce reproductive loss
- measure reproductive performance more accurately
- identify strategies and management to improve bull selection, retention, management and performance
- develop, or refine, a practical and achievable management plan for the breeding herd that will lead to higher productivity
- gain a thorough understanding of genetic improvement for both breeding cattle and turnoff cattle and develop breeding objectives to take your herd in a more profitable direction.
What you will learn:
- current herd performance – what measures matter most
- reproduction and reproduction loss
- managing the breeders - systems
- bull fertility and management
- identifying “not so obvious” bull faults that impact reproduction
- reproductive diseases and diseases impacting reproduction
- breeder herd management plans
- genetic improvement of your herd (including breeding objectives)
- genetic principles and selection tools
- selection and selection criteria for traits important to you
- breeds and breeding systems.
- Felicity Hamlyn-Hill – Beef Enterprise Advisory Services Pty Ltd
- Tim Emery – Tropical Beef Technology Services
- ACV & BULLCHECK vet Dr Libby Harriman – Great Artesian Veterinary Surgery