Breeding EDGE workshop | Rolleston, Queensland
24 Feb 2020 08:00AM - 26 Feb 2020 05:00PM
Location: Rolleston, Queensland (venue TBC)
Cost: $1,750 plus GST / first person from one business; $1,450 plus GST / second and third person from the same business; Corporate rate plus GST/ five or more participants from the one business. Cost includes comprehensive set of workshop notes, workbook, electronic files, other materials and catering.
Breeding EDGE is a three-day workshop designed to assist producers improve and refine their breeder herd management and genetic improvement plans using genetic and reproductive knowledge and technologies, to achieve desired production targets.
Attending this workshop will help you to:
- identify where the current breeder herd management program can be improved to reduce reproductive loss
- measure reproductive performance more accurately
- identify strategies and management to improve bull selection, retention, management and performance
- develop, or refine, a practical and achievable management plan for the breeding herd that will lead to higher productivity
- gain a thorough understanding of genetic improvement for both breeding cattle and turnoff cattle and develop breeding objectives to take your herd in a more profitable direction.
What you will learn:
- current herd performance – what measures matter most
- reproduction and reproduction loss
- managing the breeders - systems
- bull fertility and management
- identifying “not so obvious” bull faults that impact reproduction
- reproductive diseases and diseases impacting reproduction
- breeder herd management plans
- genetic improvement of your herd (including breeding objectives)
- genetic principles and selection tools
- selection and selection criteria for traits important to you
- breeds and breeding systems.
- Felicity Hamlyn-Hill – Beef Enterprise Advisory Services Pty Ltd
- Tim Emery – Tropical Beef Technology Services
- Mick Sullivan – Department Agriculture & Fisheries
- ACV Vet member Dr Nikki Green (Kyarra Holdings, Vet surgery Rolleston)