Breeding EDGE Workshop | Taroom, QLD
17 Aug 2020 08:00AM - 19 Aug 2020 05:00PM
Location: Taroom, QLD
Cost: $1,750 + GST / 1st person from one business; $1,450 + GST / 2nd and 3rd person from same business; Corporate rate + GST/ 5 or more participants from the one business.
Breeding EDGE is a three-day workshop designed to assist producers improve and refine their breeder herd management and genetic improvement plans using genetic and reproductive knowledge and technologies, to achieve desired production targets.
To ensure the safety of participants, this event will run in accordance with State and Federal Government COVID-19 restrictions and advice.
Attending this workshop will help you to:
- identify where the current breeder herd management program can be improved to reduce reproductive loss
- measure reproductive performance more accurately
- identify strategies and management to improve bull selection, retention, management and performance
- develop, or refine, a practical and achievable management plan for the breeding herd that will lead to higher productivity
- gain a thorough understanding of genetic improvement for both breeding cattle and turnoff cattle and develop breeding objectives to take your herd in a more profitable direction.
What you will learn:
- current herd performance – what measures matter most
- reproduction and reproduction loss
- managing the breeders - systems
- bull fertility and management
- identifying “not so obvious” bull faults that impact reproduction
- reproductive diseases and diseases impacting reproduction
- breeder herd management plans
- genetic improvement of your herd (including breeding objectives)
- genetic principles and selection tools
- selection and selection criteria for traits important to you
- breeds and breeding systems.
Felicity Hamlyn-Hill (Beef Enterprise Advisory Services), Tim Emery (Tropical Beef Technology Services), Mick Sullivan (Qld Department Agriculture & Fisheries) and ACV & BULLCHECK accredited vet.