Carbon EDGE pilot comes to Alice Springs
12 January 2024
Red meat producers in Alice Springs are encouraged to sign up and participate in Meat & Livestock Australia’s (MLA) brand new, pilot Carbon EDGE program. Sponsored places are now being offered at the discounted rate of $250 + GST for the full workshop in person. Hurry though, as this rate is only available until 28 January 2024.
To be held from 9am 18-19 March 2024, the pilot will help producers build on their understanding of carbon.
Offering independent information, the program will help participants move into a planning and action phase, identifying technologies and methods that could be incorporated into their business to benefit their bottom line and the environment. It is also suitable for advisors and other service providers looking to enhance their understanding of the current operating environment.
Delivered by Chris Wyhoon from Campfire Agri, and John McLaughlin from Upscale Carbon Pty Ltd, the program will deliver personalised information, small group learning, practical activities and case studies, data and examples from the local region.
Attending this workshop will help producers learn:
- key terminology and concepts relating to greenhouse gases (GHG) within the red meat industry, such as insetting vs offsetting, scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions, carbon footprint, carbon baseline and emissions intensities.
- win-win options for improving their environmental footprint whilst improving livestock productivity
- in-depth information on the practices to reduce and sequester GHG within a livestock grazing business
- weighing up opportunities and risks associated with generating carbon credits and how they can be used to benefit livestock businesses
- understanding carbon neutrality and how it aligns to their business goals
- developing a carbon action plan that incorporates practical, achievable strategies to meet objectives.
Places are strictly limited so be sure to register soon to avoid disappointment.
In late 2023 MLA ran the first two Carbon EDGE workshops in Mackay QLD and Benalla VIC with really positive feedback from the producers who attended. Some of this feedback included:
“Really helped me to gain a better understanding of the actual accounting process and action planning to move beyond the theoretical.”
“For someone who is new to carbon, it was great information to understand in terms of the farm business.”
“Has assisted me to get started on capturing emissions and using the [carbon accounting] tools.”
“I have a good plan to implement supported by tools and resources from this course.”
To find out more and register, visit the event page.
Carbon EDGE will also be running in Roma, QLD, Coonawarra, SA and Narrabri, NSW in early 2024.