Subscribe to The Weekly e-newsletter
News, views and advice delivered to your inbox every Friday. Covering producer case studies, industry news, market updates, on-farm tools and more, this e-newsletter is your one-stop shop for the latest in the red meat industry.
MLA’s livestock nutrition research and development (R&D) aims to maintain animal health and productivity through diets that promote good rumen function and feed conversion.
Nutrition is a critical factor influencing the success of a livestock enterprise – without good nutrition, livestock cannot achieve their full potential and meet market specifications.
There are several opportunities for producers to improve and maintain a healthy diet for their livestock, such as overcoming nutritional deficiencies, improving pasture utilisation and increasing productivity through an enhanced feed conversion ratio.
MLA is committed to improving animal health and helping producers increase productivity and profitability by investing in feeding, finishing and nutrition R&D. Areas of research include:
- understanding pasture feeding, feed budgeting, feed availability and pasture growth rates
- improving feed conversion and nutrition through lotfeeding and intensive finishing
- optimising weight gain and health benefits through supplementary feeding
- providing support and tools for effective feeding practices during periods of drought and other climate extremes
- improving the eating quality of a carcase by ensuring livestock receive adequate nutrition
- offering support tools and programs to producers to improve the dietary intake and health of their livestock
- understanding the nutrition required by livestock to achieve market specifications.
Benefits to industry
- Appropriate nutrition ensures the highest possible animal wellness and productivity, which is the basis of a sustainable and profitable red meat industry.
- MLA’s investment in feeding and nutrition R&D has delivered a suite of tools and resources to help producers meet market specifications, such as the BeefSpecs calculator.
Nutrition is a critical factor influencing the success of a livestock enterprise – without good nutrition animals cannot achieve their genetic potential.
MLA is committed to helping producers increase productivity and profitability by investing in feeding, finishing and nutrition R&D.
Areas of research include: