NB2 Feedbase Pillar
The feedbase is the foundation of every grazing business but it is notoriously tricky to manage. This is because it is a moving feast: the quantity and the quality of the feedbase varies between years, during the year and across the landscape. Livestock production and financial performance are intimately connected to how successfully the feed asset is managed.
NB2 aims to help producers to get the best out of the feedbase by measuring business performance, identifying relevant improvements, and supporting participants to take the leap.
As part of NB2, participants will be able to confidently answer the following questions:
- Do we have enough feed to achieve what we want to achieve this year?
- How efficiently are we converting our feedbase into beef?
- Is there potential to increase carrying capacity though water point development, pasture improvement and/or land condition improvement?
- Is our stocking rate management affecting animal performance (positively or negatively)?
- What is the trend in our land condition?
- Which paddocks are underperforming or outperforming and why?
Participants will begin by developing key decision date calendars and will partake in hands-on feedbase skills training in the paddock.