Southern Business EDGE Train the trainer - Phase 2
Did you know there are now accredited deliverers of MLA's Business EDGE workshop across Australia?
|Project start date:||30 April 2019|
|Project end date:||31 December 2019|
|Publication date:||28 November 2019|
|Livestock species:||Sheep, Lamb, Grassfed cattle|
|Relevant regions:||Victoria, Tasmania|
In 2019, MLA re-developed its Business EDGE workshops in response to producer demand in southern Australia for a training course that covers business skills and financial literacy.
Although it was originally a northern beef specific workshop, the content was updated to cover multiple enterprises in the north and later a second version was developed to cover southern production systems following a favourable response from industry.
This project focused on building the capability of Meridian Agriculture to deliver 'Southern Business EDGE' workshops in Victoria and Tasmania.
The objectives of the project were to provide:
- financial and business technical support specific to mixed enterprises in southern Australia
- a presentation to southern Business EDGE workshops
- support and mentoring to Meridian Agriculture to become an accredited EDGE delivery organisation.
- The Meridian Agriculture facilitators had a good understanding of the business principles and concepts covered in the Business EDGE material and were able to relate the concepts to producers in the two southern Australia workshops that were conducted.
- Producer feedback indicated that the workshops were well organised, with adequate venues, workbooks, catering and teaching resources.
- Following the success of the southern workshops, there are now accredited deliverers of the Business EDGE workshop across all major regions of Australia, with the exception of southern Western Australia.
Benefits to industry
With accredited deliverers now covering most major regions of Australia, there is an opportunity to increase the business skills and financial literacy of more producers in the Australian red meat industry.
Since the conclusion of this project, Meridian Agriculture has become an accredited deliverer of MLA's Business EDGE workshops.
As of February 2020, Meridian Agriculture is in the planning stage for the next round of workshops throughout southern Australia.
If there is interest in a southern Western Australia workshop, then existing deliverers could present the Business EDGE workshop until a suitable delivery organisation can be identified.
It is recommended that MLA works with deliverers to coordinate a national approach to promoting Business EDGE.
|Project manager:||Ted Parish|
|Primary researcher:||Bush Agribusiness Pty Ltd|